Approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health problem each year. In England, 1 in 6 people report experiencing a common mental health problem (such as anxiety and depression) in any given week (www.mind.org.uk)
Results of the Mental Health Foundation’s 2018 study undertaken by YouGov (www.mentalhealth.org.uk) brought to attention the following:
- In the past year, 74% of people have felt so stressed they have been overwhelmed or unable to cope.
- Younger people have higher stress related to the pressure to succeed. 60% of 18-24 year olds and 41% of 25-34 year olds cited this, compared to 17% of 45-54s and 6% of over 55s).
- 51% of adults who felt stressed reported feeling depressed, and 61% reported feeling anxious.
- Of the people who said they had felt stress at some point in their lives, 16% had self harmed and 32% said they had had suicidal thoughts and feelings.
- 37% of adults who reported feeling stressed reported feeling lonely as a result.
There are 928,655 people living with dementia in the UK, with numbers set to rise to over 1 million by 2025. This will soar to 2 million by 2051. (www.dementiastatistics.org)
In September 2015, the General Assembly adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development that includes 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Building on the principle of “leaving no one behind”, the new Agenda emphasizes a holistic approach to achieving sustainable development for all. The SDGs also explicitly include disability and persons with disabilities 11 times and Goal No. 3: Good Health and Well-being is of key importance. (https://www.un.org/development/desa/disabilities/envision2030.html)
As a Wellbeing Coach and a trained Dementia Champion, I am committed and passionate about promoting awareness of all aspects of Mental Health as well as facilitating and delivering Workshops and Training to share tools for Natural Stress Release and essential Self Care.
If you would like to find out more about how I can help you or your organisation with Mental Health Awareness and Training, please get in touch: Contact me.